Beatles

Loading...

Saturday, August 27, 2011

(Anti)Social Media

I adore social media and how it connects me with friends and family that I don’t get to see nearly as often as I’d like. It’s a give and take, an exchange of information, pictures, trivia and life’s minutiae. Due to the nature of life in general, we all have things we love and things we hate. We are all different. Life would be a total snoozer if we all liked the same things. But back to my point, I have an adorable 4.5 year old and I love my husband and my dog and my job and I’m trying to stick to an exercise regimen, so you’ll see a LOT about all those things from me. That’s me. I have friends who are wonderful cooks and bakers and they share what’s cooking tonight. I love that. But I have other friends who complain about others’ posts and I don’t get it. The beauty of social media is that you can change settings to see as much or as little of someone as you would like. If Onkel Fritz is posting too much about his (ugly) hamster, you can edit which of his posts you get. Or, my personal non-fave, when someone decides to post pictures of an injury, (seriously, this GROSSES ME OUT) I swiftly delete that picture, but look forward to the other posts that individual has to share. But don’t fool yourself when you post something snarky about someone else’s posts, because let’s be honest, I’m sure there are friends in your queue who have had enough of what you have said, but they like you so they tolerate you. Or secretly mock you in private, but that’s life. Can’t we all just get over ourselves? Or not, that's ok too. That’s why social media exists; we love to share about ourselves and we love when people notice. It’s quid pro quo, just like life, and it’s awesome. Can’t we just be (facebook) friends?

No comments:

Post a Comment